Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Daily Thought

We're like the sea, people our waves; Necessarily we are associated with everyone.
--Shah Ni'matullah Wali (1330-1431)

We should consciously harmonize ourselves with everything and everyone about us.
--The Science of Mind, page 252.

Interdependence

People we don’t know positively effect our lives every day. Looking for evidence of our interdependence is a fun game, to be played in any setting. Walking alone in a lovely local park, for example, I appreciate the person who blazed this trail. I consciously savor the smooth, open path before me. I feel the love for this beautiful ground which inspired the folks who donated it to the city. I am grateful to the community minded politicians who appropriate the tax dollars to fund the park operations, and the tax payers who make all this possible. I enjoy the excitement of children who come to play and explore here.

As I walk, I notice the woods are full of birds. I see a bird I can't identify. I lift my binoculars. I think of those who invented, manufactured, shipped and sold them. My Mom gave them to me for Christmas. So many people aided me in creating this perfect moment. A bright yellow, narrow band on the underside of the bird’s tail gives me a clue identify it. I look it up later in my bird book (author, photographer, publisher, printer, binder, book seller,) handy in the glove compartment of my car (dealership, trucking company, car plant, investors, inventors, engineers.) I find the bird, a cedar waxwing. I go to park headquarters (architect, builder, construction workers) where the ranger confirms waxwings have been sighted recently, flocking with the robins among the cedar trees. I bask in the Oneness of life, grateful to see it so clearly demonstrated in the park.

I easily appreciate the incredible beauty of life’s network: the trees, birds, and animals. I equally give thanks for the many people who, through their daily actions, allow my life to be so rich and full. My gratitude harmonizes me with everything and everyone about me.
Connee Chandler, RScP

1 comment:

Katie McKenna said...

This is really nice, thank you Jj!